Brazil court allows prosecution of US swimmer Ryan Lochte

FILE - In this Aug. 9, 2016 file photo, United States' swimmer Ryan Lochte checks his time in a men's 4x200-meter freestyle heat at the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Lochte's prosecution for filing a false police report during the 2016 Olympics is back on after a Brazilian court decision on Tuesday, June 26, 2018. (AP Photo/Michael Sohn, File)

SAO PAULO — The prosecution of U.S. swimmer Ryan Lochte for filing a false police report during the 2016 Olympics is back on after a Brazilian court decision this week.

During the games in Rio de Janeiro, the 12-time Olympic medalist told NBC that he and fellow swimmers were robbed at gunpoint in a taxi by men with police badges as they returned to the Olympic Village from a party. But prosecutors said Lochte invented the story to cover up the swimmers' vandalism of a gas station and an ensuing confrontation with security guards. The confrontation was captured by surveillance cameras at the gas station.

Lochte later acknowledged he was intoxicated at the time and his behavior led to the confrontation.

The initial claim appeared to confirm widespread fears before the Olympics that the event would be marred by rising crime rates in Rio de Janeiro, which has long struggled with violence. As Lochte's version of events began to shift, many Brazilians became annoyed that a false story about crime drew so much attention, when the city had hosted the games without major problems.

The scandal drew international headlines and grew to overshadow the final days of the games. Lochte ended up serving a 10-month suspension from the U.S. national swim team for his behavior.

Last year, a court dismissed the case against Lochte, but the Superior Court of Justice reversed that decision Tuesday. Prosecutor Rodrigo de Almeida Maia said Thursday that the next step is for Lochte's lawyers to present their defense. Lochte does not have to appear in person to defend himself, de Almeida Maia said.

Steve Lochte, the swimmer's father, said by telephone that he had no comment and directed questions to his son or his son's lawyers.

Jeff Ostrow, a lawyer who has represented Lochte in the past, did not immediately respond to an email and a voicemail message seeking comment. It was not clear if he would represent Lochte in this case.

You may also be interested in

Australian car-making ends with last GM plant...

Oct 20, 2017

The last mass-produced car designed and built in Australia has rolled off General Motors Co.'s...

Australia senator starts gay marriage debate day...

Nov 16, 2017

Gay lawmaker starts Australian Parliament debate on legal recognition for same-sex marriage with an...

2 couples tie the knot in Australia's 1st...

Dec 17, 2017

Australia has recorded its first same-sex weddings under its new legislation allowing such...

Alastair Cook completes rare feat of endurance at...

Dec 29, 2017

One ball was all it took for England opener Alastair Cook to complete one of cricket's greatest...

Australian lawmakers debate banning sex with...

Feb 9, 2018

The prime minister has talked down the need in Australia for a U.S.-style ban on legislators having...

Diver Haven is brought to you by a team of tech-savvy diving enthusiasts. Diver of all walks of life be it recreational to professional, scuba or freedivers are always welcome.

Contact us: sales[at]diverhaven.com